CBD stones can cause severe complications compared to gall bladder stones. CBD stones are the stones that are carried away from gall bladder, whereas in some patients’ stones can be formed de novo.
- Pain in upper abdomen
- Fever with chills
- Decreased urine output
- CBD stones can be diagnosed by trans abdominal ultrasound, although it has low sensitivity.
- MRCP and EUS are the most common modalities for CBD stones diagnosis
- Patients with CBD stones should receive immediate treatment
- The standard treatment for CBD stones is ERCP. ERCP endoscope is used via the mouth after sedating the patient. With the help of various accessories, CBD stones are removed.
- Infection of biliary system may require stent placement in CBD so that drainage of bile occurs effectively.