What is bloating?
Bloating commonly occurs due to the accumulation of gas or the retention of fluid in the digestive tract. Knowledge of the causes of bloating can help you know what to do to improve your symptoms. It is vital to listen to the signals your body sends you. We urge you to pay attention to the times and circumstances during which you experience bloating. This can help you understand and perhaps even identify what makes you feel bloated. If you are looking for help to determine the cause of bloating and are in the GS Road area, we can help. Contact Apollo Clinic or Dr. Mayank Agarwal at your earliest convenience to consult with a GI specialist to help you achieve relief from extreme bloating.
What are the causes of bloating?
Bloating may arise from a multitude of conditions or from a number of other factors. Some common sources of bloating include:
- Eating too quickly (satiety signals may take up to 20 minutes to reach the brain and decrease appetite)
- Gynecological factors
- Eating fattening or rich foods
- The swallowing of air
- Eating food that is difficult to digest
How can I relieve and avoid bloating?
If you are experiencing bloating frequently, begin by experimenting with one or more of the suggestions provided by our Dallas, TX gastrointestinal physicians.
- Exercise or take a walk
- Don’t drink using straws
- Avoid chewing gum
- Do not smoke
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Avoid foods with artificial sweeteners, specifically sorbitol or fructose
- Eat more slowly
- Avoid prunes, carrots, apricots, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, lentils, and beans
- Avoid any abrupt increase in the amount of fiber you eat
If you are avoiding foods or practices that clearly cause you to suffer from bloating yet still experience this symptom, it is important to reach out to a digestive health specialist at Apollo Clinic or Dr. Mayank Agarwal. Our team can help you better understand your symptoms and can render a diagnosis for your discomfort.